Saturday 4 March 2017

How might one deal with empathy in the classroom?

Empathy is a very important tool that teachers can utilize in the classroom. When I was completing my undergraduate work, the professor of my multi-cultural education class made a profound statement that stuck with me. He said "students don't care how much you know until they know how much you care." I realize that he did not come up with that phrase, but it was the first time that I heard it and it stuck...

Empathy is a very important tool that teachers can utilize in the classroom. When I was completing my undergraduate work, the professor of my multi-cultural education class made a profound statement that stuck with me. He said "students don't care how much you know until they know how much you care." I realize that he did not come up with that phrase, but it was the first time that I heard it and it stuck with me.  As I read your question, this statement came to my mind again. How can students know how much you care if you are not practicing empathy in the classroom? Recent science also seems to confirm the importance of teachers practicing empathy. Consider the following remark from Vicki Zakrewski, the education director at Greater Good Science Center at UC Berkely.



Scientific research is starting to show that there is a very strong relationship between social-emotional learning and cognitive development and performance.



In her statement, she is advocating that a student's cognitive well-being is closely associated with their emotional well-being. Practicing empathy in the classroom allows the students to acquire a comfort level with the teacher. They realize that the teacher cares and they want to impress their mentor. The comfort level that is acquired will allow students to take risks with their learning. In other words, they will not be afraid to fail because they know that the teacher is understanding and compassionate. In this way, students can grow academically in meaningful ways and leave their comfort zone.


Another reason that it is important for teachers to practice empathy is to set an example for their students. While we are all born with compassion and understanding, they are skills that need to be practiced. They are also important 21st Century skills. If students see their teachers model empathy, they are more likely to be empathetic in their interactions with their peers. In this way, students are practicing a skill that will advance their futures.  





No comments:

Post a Comment

How can a 0.5 molal solution be less concentrated than a 0.5 molar solution?

The answer lies in the units being used. "Molar" refers to molarity, a unit of measurement that describes how many moles of a solu...