Monday 3 February 2014

How would you draw a picture of Mae Tuck using the description provided in Chapter Two of Natalie Babbitt's Tuck Everlasting?

I definitely can't draw you a picture of Mae Tuck.  I can type for but not draw.  According to my own students, you definitely don't want me to draw either.  I can help identify key parts of chapter two's narration that will help you formulate a more dialed in drawing of Mae Tuck.  


The first description of Mae's physical appearance is that she is a "great potato of a woman with a round,...

I definitely can't draw you a picture of Mae Tuck.  I can type for but not draw.  According to my own students, you definitely don't want me to draw either.  I can help identify key parts of chapter two's narration that will help you formulate a more dialed in drawing of Mae Tuck.  


The first description of Mae's physical appearance is that she is a "great potato of a woman with a round, sensible face and calm brown eyes."  I'm not 100% sure of what a potato woman looks like, but I do know that most women would not want to be compared to a potato.  Potatoes are oddly shaped, which is not flattering.  Second, potatoes tend to be . . . not skinny.  However you draw Mae, do not draw her as having the stereotypical "hourglass" female shape.  In fact, don't highlight a waste line at all.  Round face and brown eyes is fairly straightforward.  She also needs gray-brown hair and a blue straw hat. 


Next, you need to put clothes on Mae.  Stick with browns for coloring.  Make them look worn.  A few patches maybe.  Definitely pile on more clothes or clothing layers than normal.  The text says that she wore three petticoats at a time and then a cotton jacket on top of it all.  Put Mae in a skirt, not pants.



Mae Tuck climbed out of bed and began to dress: three petticoats, a rusty brown skirt with one enormous pocket, an old cotton jacket, and a knitted shawl which she pinned across her bosom with a tarnished metal brooch.



If you are basing your image on only Chapter Two, I recommend having Mae be smiling.  She is excited to see her two sons after not having seen them in many years.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

How can a 0.5 molal solution be less concentrated than a 0.5 molar solution?

The answer lies in the units being used. "Molar" refers to molarity, a unit of measurement that describes how many moles of a solu...