Thursday 28 November 2013

How do I find quotations in "The Slave Dancer" regarding the friendship between Ras and Jessie?

In the book, The Slave Dancer by Paula Fox, there are several insightful quotations about the friendship between Ras and Jessie.


When looking for a quote, it helps to have a solid understanding of the book. For example, it helps to know where certain events or relationships occur in the book. In this specific instance, Ras and Jessie’s friendship develops slowly and is primarily prevalent after they are trapped for multiple days in the ship...

In the book, The Slave Dancer by Paula Fox, there are several insightful quotations about the friendship between Ras and Jessie.


When looking for a quote, it helps to have a solid understanding of the book. For example, it helps to know where certain events or relationships occur in the book. In this specific instance, Ras and Jessie’s friendship develops slowly and is primarily prevalent after they are trapped for multiple days in the ship (chapter: “Ben Stout’s Mistake”).


Additionally, if you have an electronic copy of the book, you can also search the book to find specific words. Although searching the name “Jessie” would turn up dozens of responses, Ras is not as prominent. Thus, it would be beneficial to search for “Ras” and see if any of the results discuss Ras and Jessie’s friendship.


After knowing this, it is easier to find quotes about their friendship.  Here are a few quotes about their friendship to help you get started:



“Ras and I ate until the food ran down our chins and we were covered with grease. He pointed at me and laughed. I drew my finger along his chin, showing him the ham fat that had collected on his cheeks. He laughed harder.”



And:



“He [Ras] was gone in an instant. Daniel and I were alone.


I felt such a hollowness then . . .”



And:



“I knew that some part of my memory was always looking for Ras. Once, in Boston, I thought I really saw him, and I ran after a tall slender young black man walking along in front of me. But it was not he.”



Thus, it can be challenging to find quotations. However, by knowing the context, reading the book, and even searching for a word or phrase in an electronic copy, we can find great quotations! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

How can a 0.5 molal solution be less concentrated than a 0.5 molar solution?

The answer lies in the units being used. "Molar" refers to molarity, a unit of measurement that describes how many moles of a solu...